Sunday, November 11, 2007

Cucalorus!!

Cucalorus was awesome! Although I didn't get to see everything I wanted to see, I thoroughly enjoyed myself and the films I was able to see. The first screening I have to talk about it is the UNCW Vision screening. I missed this last year so I was really excited to be a part of it this year. A film I made with a group in my Intro to Documentary class last year was selected and screened in this year's Vision screening so the experience was even more special to me. I was so glad to see Jengo's Playhouse completely packed with people. I came in a few minutes late and ended up having to sit on the floor because there was nowhere else to stand or sit. It was awesome to see that amount of support for the student films. I also enjoyed the student films that were shown this year. Obviously, I have a bias and enjoyed mine, but there were also a few that really stood out to me. Lexi's film about her father's death and the impact it has had on her was amazing to me. It was such a personal piece and I think that it says a lot about her and what film means to her. It seems like it is her outlet, almost like her diary and I think that is really awesome. The film Scarz by Todd and Amir was also really good. I had seen it evolve in Intro to Documentary last year and being able to see it fresh again was cool. I enjoyed it even more. I also really liked the film with the mario, nintendo storyline. I thought that was a very creative idea and whether or not you are a fan of President Bush, you could laugh at it and enjoy the film. One of the feature films that I saw was Hannah Takes the Stairs. The storyline wasn't the most interesting and complex, but I was still interested in the characters and the film. One of the most impressive things about the film was the acting. Over and over I found myself thinking, "wow, these characters seem so natural!" I constantly felt like I was in the scene with them, at work or at home. That was very impressive to me and made the film even better. It was basically a comical story about Hannah who finds herself "chronically dissatisfied" especially with men. It follows her struggle to find happiness. It was very entertaining and although odd at times, I did enjoy it. I absolutely loved Cucalorus last year and this year it seemed even better. I can't wait to see what it's like next year!

No comments: