Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Stan Brackage Article

The Stan Brackage article, A Moving Picture Giving and Taking Book, was a little overwhelming to read. It was a very informative article, but at times I felt that it was a little hard to understand. He gave a lot of technical information about the different kinds of film, the way projectors operate, and f-stops. When he outlined how to use a motion picture machine and how they work, it was a little hard to understand just by reading it because I am a visual learner. However, in class we were able to load and use a projector so I felt a little more comfortable with it. When he discussed lighting, I got a little bit confused. I liked how he described the "dark room" for readers to try, but I feel like I had a hard time understand exactly what he meant. After reading his article I do have more respect for him as a filmmaker. I have a hard time understanding experimental films like his, but after reading this article I think I have a better understanding of his techniques as a filmmaker and how knowledgeable he is in his craft.

1 comment:

Six X. One said...

The Brakhage reading is a little dense but you got an important point from it - that what may seem random at first glance (Brakhage's films) can really be quite calculated. As far as some of the difficult terms and concepts - many of them will come to light as class goes on and we get some hands on experience.